Sent on behalf of Patrick Phillips, Acting Executive Director of the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific
Summer 2017 Knight Campus funding opportunity for UO student outreach programs offering professional development and mentoring to underrepresented groups in STEM fields.
The Knight Campus welcomes applications from groups seeking financial support for programs that encourage students to engage in scientific training with an emphasis on programs that encourage individuals from underrepresented groups in the STEM fields. The programs we envision supporting will have an element of student-governance in the programming and implementation while including significant faculty input and oversight. The programs can be focused on undergraduate and/or graduate students. We expect the programs to have a well-articulated approach to developing a social and academic community aimed at recruiting, engaging and retaining students in scientific fields; some form(s) of a mentoring program (peer, faculty, external); practical research opportunities and professional development training.
All submissions must provide evidence of significant faculty engagement. Awards of up to $30,000 will be made based on the needs articulated in the proposal. See eligibility and application guidelines below.
The Knight Campus will accept applications through Friday, June 2, 2017 at 5pm via email only – firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will receive a response no later than Thursday, June 15, 2017. Questions should be posed via email to Moira Kiltie email@example.com.
- The program must benefit matriculated (or recently admitted) UO undergraduates and/or graduate students.
- The program must have a primary goal of enhancing the sciences through the development of academic and social environments that attract, retain, and inspire students from diverse backgrounds.
- The program must have an element of student leadership and decision-making in planning and program implementation. Programs can be fully student-governed. The program must have at least one UO faculty member affiliated and actively involved in programming, implementation and oversight.
- Programs must provide written evidence of institutional acknowledgement at the departmental/dean level. If space or other resources are required beyond what is requested in the proposal, the proposal must indicate how those needs are to be met and the institutional acknowledgement should address this issue as relevant.
- Programs that are currently active with existing sources of funding must show how the Knight Campus funding will significantly increase the program’s impact and scale.
- Proposed programs without current sources of funding must indicate other sources of potential support and status of request for additional funding if relevant.
- Provide lead contact name(s) for the program. At least one must be a UO faculty member.
- Provide a one-page brief on the program highlighting the mission, goals and programmatic elements that will lead to the development of a successful program enhancing the sciences through creating academic and social environments that attract, retain, and inspire students from diverse backgrounds.
- Provide a brief outline of the program costs including the period for which the costs will occur. Clearly indicate the amount requested from the Knight Campus.
- List all faculty affiliated with the program and their department affiliation.
- Provide information regarding additional funding sources and status of current outstanding requests for additional funding.
REMINDER: Application deadline is Friday, June 2 at 5pm. All applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.