Date of Notice: April 24, 2019
Current Status: Notice Given
Motion Type: Legislation
Sponsor: Core Education Council
1.1 Whereas the University of Oregon has recently reconfigured the core ed requirements; and
1.2 Whereas the Core Ed Council “oversee[s] that part of the University curriculum which is
required of all undergraduate students”; and
1.3 Whereas Core Education Credits are defined to be those satisfying an Area of Inquiry (Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Arts & Letters), Writing, Global Perspectives and US-Difference, Inequality, Agency, and/or a Bachelor degree specific requirement.
2.1 BE IT THEREFORE MOVED that the existing General Limitations for the Bachelor’s Degrees found at http://uocatalog.uoregon.edu/admissiontograduation/bachelorrequirements/ under the heading “General Limitations” be replaced with the following General Limitations for Bachelor’s Degrees:
1. A total maximum of 124 credits may be transferred from domestic, regionally accredited junior or community colleges and from international junior or technical colleges. Of the total maximum of 124 credits, only 90 credits may be transferred from an international junior or technical college.
2. A maximum of 48 credits in law, medicine, pharmacy, chiropractic medicine, dentistry, technology, or any combination may be used toward fulfilling total credit hours for BA or BS degree.
3. A maximum of 24 credits may be used toward fulfilling total credits in the following areas (a,b,c, and d) with not more than 12 in any one area:
a. Lower-division professional-technical courses;
b. Physical education activity, Military Science activity (e.g. MIL 131 and 331), and dance activity (DANC) courses, except for dance activity courses for majors in dance;
c. Performance in music (in any subject code including MUP and MUS), except for majors in music;
d. Applied and/or experiential courses, academic support skills courses, field experience courses, or career and professional development courses.
4. For music majors, a maximum of 24 credits in music performance (in any subject code including MUP and MUS), may count toward requirements for the BA or BS degree.
5. For dance majors, a maximum of 36 credits of DANCE may count toward requirements for the BA or BS degree.
6. University of Oregon academic records are sealed thirty days after the official conferral date of a degree. After this date, changes to majors and minors, addition of departmental honors, removal of incompletes, grade changes, or other changes to an academic record
cannot be made.
7. When the University awards credits for Advanced Placement Program (AP), International Baccalaureate Program (IB), Cambridge Examination Program, the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and credit by examination (course challenge), these
credits are counted toward the satisfaction of bachelor’s degree requirements–except residency and the 45 UO credits graded A,B,C,D. The university grants pass (P*) credit for successful completion of AP, IB, Cambridge, and CLEP examinations.
8. For limitations related to repeated courses please refer to UO Policy on Repeatable and Nonrepeatable Undergraduate Courses.
9. Students may not receive credit for any course assessed as having substantially similar content as a course for which they have already received credit.
10. Students may not receive credit for courses beneath their assessed competency level.
11. Student may not receive credit for courses that are designated as regressive prerequisites for courses in which they are currently enrolled or have already received credit.
12. Students must be enrolled with degree-seeking status in order to earn an undergraduate major, minor or certificate; undergraduate majors, minors and certificates must be completed at the time the degree is awarded.
2.2 BE IT FURTHER MOVED that the “One Course” restriction under the existing Group Requirements be replaced with
“Students may use a maximum of 12 credits that have the same subject code(s) (e.g. MUS, MUJ for music majors) as their primary major to simultaneously count for both a student’s major requirements and core ed requirements.”
2.3 BE IT FURTHER MOVED that, under Group Requirements for Specific Degrees, 1. Bachelor of Arts, Fine Arts, or Science, the language “Each group must include (a) at least two courses with the
same subject code and (b) at least one course with a different subject code. No more than three courses with the same subject code may be used to fulfill the 45-credit requirement.” be
“Students may use a maximum of 12 credits in any one subject code toward the total credits across all Areas of Inquiry.”
And that under Group Requirements for Specific Degrees, 2. Bachelor of Architecture, Education, Interior Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Music, or Music in Music Education, the language “Each group must include at least two courses with different subject codes. Two groups must each include at least two courses with the same subject code. No more than three courses with the same subject code may be used to fulfill the total 36-credit requirement.” be replaced with:
“Students may use a maximum of 12 credits in any one subject code toward the total
credits across all Areas of Inquiry.”
Effective date: Fall 2019 for incoming undergraduate students.
Passed the Core Ed Council unanimously on 4/24/2019.
Updated Draft of Motion – May 20, 2019
Updated Draft – May 22, 2019